Thursday, October 21, 2010

Artists Statement

When I am struggling with life and overwhelmed with emotions the first thing I come to is art. The paintings and drawings that I make for myself are much more about the process than the outcome. They are my escape from reality and a way to let out any tension or negative feelings I might be experiencing. As a result, many of them turn out chaotic and confusing with many surreal creatures and unexplainable scenes. There are no guidelines or rules when I am painting for myself. Through making this kind of art, I am able to let my emotions flow and take a break from the structure an standards that come with most things in life, and that can definitely be seen within the artwork.

The artwork that I create for other people is quite different. I enjoy making more useful works of art through pottery and knitting, and I also paint. My main focus for these paintings is usually color. I love to see how using different colors can change the entire look of an object, or bring on certain feelings and moods. The more realistic paintings I make for others to view are very expressionistic in their style and usually have close up views of whatever is in the subject matter. I also make series of abstract paintings that experiment with different color combinations. These abstract paintings are not meant to look like anything at all, but are intended to focus on the colors involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment