Thursday, October 21, 2010

Artist Statement Kiara Weibel


As an artist, I see a vast amount of options. There are no boundaries limiting what I will and will not do as an artist. All art forms are exciting and satisfying in different ways. However the variable that always remains consistent is that of a passion for creation within the process.

Art is a way for me to adapt to life on a regular basis. My purpose is not only to create and produce, but to express feeling, understand, and connect with myself and others. My work has stood as a release of emotions, a statement I wish to communicate, or simply a visual of my subconscious mind. I continually see a manifestation of my own life, thoughts and feelings arising in my work, whether or not I have had a clear goal in mind at the beginning of a project. I continually find connections in my finished work, and this stands as my own visual language. While I create reflections of my own world, I also wish to make connections with my audience. The goal of my work is to evoke emotion and intrigue in both myself and others.

Within the past four years, I have particularly been using photography as my primary way of making images that are not only expressive of my identity, but statements that all people can connect with, as we all share this same world that I love to photograph. As I explore the many realms of photography, and photograph whatever catches my eye, I have found that some images strike something deeper inside, greater than a simple appealing visual composition. As I learn what these images evoke in myself, I often wonder what thoughts are evoked in others. I feel that it is necessary to be aware of and hold on to these feelings and fleeting moments that photography points out and highlights. It is the art in life that already exists, but just goes overlooked, forgotten, or completely unnoticed. The beauty of life and existence continually draws me in, inspires me and allows me to express myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment