Monday, March 30, 2009

Artist Statement '09


My artwork is based on unreal images that I have created that are graphic, vibrant, and unusual. Flowing lines and bold shapes are two key elements that are included in all of my paintings, while I also pay a great deal of attention to the principles of balance and repetitive pattern. There is a dreamlike and free-spirited quality to the work that I create. My goal is to reach the corners of my creative mind, to create work that is visually stimulating, aesthetically pleasing, and thought inspiring, while also keeping control of the composition.

The medium that I have spent the most time on is acrylic painting on canvas, but recently I have become interested in many forms of printmaking. I like to experiment with my paintings, such as mixing the paint with unusual items to create texture, or adding found objects to the canvas to create a sculpture/painting combination. I prefer to stray from the customary constrictions of typical paintings by experimenting with concepts that have never been used before. The form of printmaking that I focus the most on is linocuts. I create linoleum prints of repetitive patterns and irregular shapes. I like to vary the types of linoleum that I use, and I also hope to begin using wood in the future to add a different kind of texture to my prints.
My artwork is all about things that do not exist in the world that we live in. I create the images in my paintings because I want my art to be imaginary and stimulating.

5 comments:

  1. Nice, attention grabbing artist statement! The first line kind of confused me-do you compose your ideas graphically? Or is it graphic in that it is flat, 2 dimensional.I can really see balance and repetitive pattern in your work by the image you chose. I would love to see your printmaking work- I think using wood for texture is a fabulous idea. I like how you use concepts that do not exist in the world, but exist in your mind. Very interesting! I would like to see you do some monoprints!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice image, and your statement definitely stood out to me. You have a unique concept, which makes you stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I realy like the way you worded your artist statement. I had a hard time coming up with good adjectives to describe my work, and the way you put it really describe the image that accompanied your statement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like that you seem very sure of what it is you do with art. how you won't paint contemporary and you stick to a certain style and why you stick to it. i also really like the last line of your statement it was a great closing sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your artist statement puts mine to shame. I like how you included how you enjoy adding things to your paint/paintings because in a photo that might not be as obvious as opposed to seeing your work in person. I like your crazy art, I struggle with what your good at.

    ReplyDelete