Thursday, March 26, 2009

Printmaking, an Adventure in Experimentation


I make art because I love creating things of beauty. I am particularly drawn to printmaking because it is very process-oriented, with many variations of techniques. My prints are as much about the process of printmaking as they are about the final product. When I am working on creating prints, I am not thinking about making a statement. Rather, I am conducting an experiment. How can I achieve a certain effect? What will happen if I do this? For me, creating prints is like playing chess; I think about how my current move will affect the plate and print two or three steps down the road. Often I can’t accurately predict the end result, and happy accidents occur. This opens up new techniques and processes to explore. The possibilities are endless, and my sense of wonder, adventure and gratitude increase each time I pull a new print off the press.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very nice print. It,s hard to comment further because, even though it is a good photo, this format leaves much to be desired. I like the shadow it gives it a three dimensional aspect.
    It sounds like your printmaking has a lot in commen with my photography, a lot of experimentation.
    I like your honesty about not trying to make a statement. The last class I took "Photography as a form of self expression" made me relize that the things I create are ultimately a statement of who I am whether I want them to be or not. But for me it is not a consious effort either.
    I like the way you explained why you do it too, and comment about how it is as much the process as the product. Nice statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been watching you create prints for two semesters now, and I feel like there is so much more to how you do what you do then this artist statement. I feel like every design that you do is carefully planned out, and each one is different from the last. I was hoping to hear more about how you decide what to draw and where the subjects come from.

    ReplyDelete