Thursday, March 26, 2009

Artist Statement

Art in all forms attracts me. Though I love to try different medias, photography is the channel I find easiest to express myself through. My photography splits into three different categories: people, pictures with words, and digital transformation.

Photography started for me when I was young and was inspired by my dad who always took pictures as a hobby. His dad was also interested and experienced in photography. One Christmas I was given a used Canon AE-1 35 mm film camera, the exact same camera my dad and grandpa had, and with it the chance to become a third-generation self-taught photographer.

Since then, my photography has evolved, leaving behind film and moving into the digital world. Digital editing brought in a new way to accentuate emotions and gave me the ability to portray a deeper, more provoking, or confronting image.

My art also grew to incorporate my love of words. Words, whether single-standing, in a poetic stream, or together in a story have the power to be bold, gripping, and moving. But what words cannot express on their own, I hoped to compensate in the visual. A picture is worth a thousand words. What would happen if you combined them?

Capturing people through my lens is the third form of my art. There is a unique ability in the human face to express things beyond words all together in a much more intense way.

I hope through each of my photos to go beyond the “feel good” art and create something that is stirring and provoking. Something that stretches into the deeper areas of the heart, beyond the drone of life, to reach what is not always touched.



1 comment:

  1. A very good and memorable artist statement! I especially enjoyed the family history and learning that you are third generation self-taught photographer. Even though I know nothing about photography and cameras, I liked the fine detail of the exact camera model that you and your dad and grandpa had. I also liked the brief comments made about the categories that your photos fall into. Thanks for sharing your history and motivation.

    ReplyDelete